Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Change Default File Format (.xlsx to .xls)


In my organisation, most of the people use Excel 2003 (you read it correct). I am one of the few privileged (canny??) to get Excel 2010 installed. So I got a version that is better in look and performance but a frequent problem I face is with the file formats. Any workbook I create in Excel 2010 will be by default contain extension “.xlsx” (recent file format). When I share these files with my colleagues, none of them will be able to modify that file in Excel 2003 and very few who is wise and installed compatibility pack will be able to read. I get a return mail saying they can’t open and I have to resave the file with “.xls” extension (Excel 2003 file format). I can do it for couple of files but if I have to do for every workbook, it would be good idea to change the default format to “.xls”. Let’s see how.

Excel 2010 and later:

File tab > Options > Save tab > Save workbooks segment > Select Excel 97-2003 Workbook in Save files in this format drop down > click OK.

Excel 2007:

Click the Microsoft Office button > Excel Options > Save tab > Save workbooks segment > Select Excel 97-2003 Workbook in Save files in this format drop down > click OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment